Normalization is the process of structuring and handling the relationship between data to minimize redundancy in the relational table and avoid the unnecessary anomalies properties from the database like insertion, update and delete. It helps to divide large database tables into smaller tables and make a relationship between them. It can remove the redundant data and ease to add, manipulate or delete table fields.
A normalization defines rules for the relational table as to whether it satisfies the normal form. A normal form is a process that evaluates each relation against defined criteria and removes the multivalued, joins, functional and trivial dependency from a relation. If any data is updated, deleted or inserted, it does not cause any problem for database tables and help to improve the relational table’ integrity and efficiency.
- It is used to remove the duplicate data and database anomalies from the relational table.
- Normalization helps to reduce redundancy and complexity by examining new data types used in the table.
- It is helpful to divide the large database table into smaller tables and link them using relationship.
- It avoids duplicate data or no repeating groups into a table.
- It reduces the chances for anomalies to occur in a database.